In the last months, I didn’t get much time to work on Kate nor KTextEditor. Beside some small bugfixes and cleanups I got nothing commited :/
Guess one of the main issues is, I don’t use the KF5 based version of Kate that much ATM. At home, it is the only editor I use, but I have not much time to hack at home anyway.
Therefore today I installed the same setup on my work machine and will now use the KF5 based Kate for all of my day job, perhaps that motivates me more to take a look at the issues the Qt5/KF5 port still has.
(And I will work in a KDE Plasma 5 session with most stuff KF5 based now, including all important stuff like the nice Konsole ;=)
First update: The Get It page got an update to show how to install KF5 based Kate/KWrite from kate.git on openSUSE 13.2 😉 Feel free to send in the needed hints for other distros (to firstname.lastname@example.org).
The installation hints for KDE 4.x based Kate got moved to Get It – KDE 4.x, to keep them intact!
I reinstalled my home machine last week with openSUSE 13.2 and installed their latest 15.04 packages from the KDE repos ;=)
That is the first time that I use a distro-shipped Kate that is based on KF5 (and no other Kate 4.x is installed any more as escape route).
I think I already have seen 1-2 glitches (like not needed questions for reload and some repaint issue on reload), still, overall, I am happy with what is shipped as 15.04.
Thanks to all people contributing to KF5 and Kate 5.x! Well done!
And thanks to the packagers of 15.04, too. Nice to have up-to-date applications with just an additional repository to add!
Given that the KF5 based Kate works OK on Windows, I would like to get the Mac version up and running, too.
As virtualization of MacOS X is kind of “forbidden” and not that nicely usable anyway, as no nice accelerating drivers are available for the standard vm solutions, I just went out into the world and bought some Retina MacBook.
I followed the nice guide on https://github.com/haraldF/homebrew-kf5 (thanks Harald :=) and got some installed Kate/KWrite (after patching kio to skip X11 detection).
But ok, not that usable, at least without any investigation which env vars are missing per default you get a Kate that crashs or just shows the main window central content without any actions/menus/toolbars/sidebars/…
In addition, the application is scaled, as the manifest that tells we are able to handle retina bla stuff is missing.
Guess lots of work ahead, but given I have now some Mac, I will work on that in the following months 😉
P.S. I never had a Mac before and got often told by “Mac Fans” that I should switch to some “real” operating system from my stupid borked unusable cluttered hacky … Linux. Given that the new shiny MacBook directly stalled for ever during the guided “create your user and give us all your data” installation wizard on first boot, I am not that impressed ;=) My mother would have been stuck and after some googling that seems to be a “known issue”, at least for me, after a hard reboot, the thingy worked and I had a login, more luck than others 😛
Here it goes, Kate5 running on Windows:This is an early version of Kate5 on Windows. It runs just fine but has some glitches, such as the
white lines between selected text lines, or wrong margins in the search&replace bar, or showing a ‘+1’ in the top right corner, although all documents are visible.
Update: After installing oxygen-icons and switching the font to Consolas (what Visual Studio uses), the glitches above are gone. Here is an updated screenshot:
So essentially it works, and if all goes well, we hope to provide a good text editor experience with Kate5 on Windows in the next year(s). To this end, we are currently discussing having a joint Kate/KDevelop/Windows developer sprint early next year.
You can support this also by donating to the End of Year 2014 fundraiser. Thanks!