Category Archives: Common

Lumen – A Code-Completion Plugin for the D Programming Language

I am the original author of the Lumen KTextEditor plugin and I am happy to announce, I just committed it to the Kate repository for KDE 4.13!

Lumen is just the name for a plugin providing code-completion for the D programming language in KTextEditor/Kate and KDevelop. But Lumen is just a connection between the editor and the D Completion Daemon (a server providing all the information) called  DCD. The plugin currently supports all major features of the completion server: feeding the server with import files, displaying documentation and several types of completion:


example of lumen (imports)

Basic Completion:

example of lumen (code completion)

Completion (overloaded Function):

example of lumen (code completion)


example of lumen (calltips)


To make Lumen work you have to install DCD, unfortunately no Linux distribution has DCD packaged so far. Luckily the D community provides a remedy.

For all Debian/apt based distributions like Ubuntu and Debian of course, there is the d-apt, simply follow the instructions on how to setup the apt-repository and install DCD via apt.  For Archlinux exists an AUR Package. Everyone else has to setup DCD manually, but it’s really not hard, simply follow these instructions.

After installing DCD edit ~/.config/dcd/dcd.conf (create if it does not exist already) and add a path to your D include/import files (phobos), for me this is /usr/include/dlang/dmd (on ArchLinux), for other installations this would most likely be /usr/include/d. Furthermore Lumen will try to read a .lumenconfig in every parent folder of the currently opened D source file and add every line in this file as include path to the DCD server. Add all dependencies of your current project to this file.

Now start the completion server with dcd-server, enable the Lumen plugin in your settings and you will have code completion for the D programming language in your favorite editor!

Kate/KDevelop/Skanlite Sprint Wrap-Up

From 18th to 25th of January 2014, the Kate, KDevelop and Skanlite developers met in Barcelona to work on these projects full time for a week. Full time usually implies about 14 hours per person a day (yes, besides food, we do nothing but developing). 11 developers working 14 hours a day for 7 days makes a total of 1078 hours. If we divide this by 8 hours, the typical amount of work hours in a day, this makes 134 man-days of work, or about 27 weeks of continued development time. While this calculation is a bit theoretical, it is still very valid to estimate the amount of work that is put into these projects during such a sprint, especially since usually developers have far less time for development in their spare time.

The efforts focus mostly on KDE Frameworks 5, so what is listed next is mostly relevant only for the KF5/Qt5 version of Kate etc. Going through the Kate and Skanlite commits from 18th to the 25th of January, we have (not listing all commits):

January, 18th (arrival day):

  • KTextEditor::Cursor and KTextEditor::Range are declared as Q_MOVABLE_TYPE, telling Qt containers that these primitive types can be mem-moved without copy constructor.
  • since KTextEditor and KatePart are now merged into a single list, the API was changed such that KTextEditor::Editor::instance() is a singleton. Therefore, KTextEditor::Document::editor() was dropped, as it is not needed anymore.
  • vi input mode: new sentence text object
  • merged code completion models
  • some API cleanups
  • removed ModeInterface, which was never implemented

January, 19th:

January, 20th:

January, 21th:

January, 22th:

January, 23th:

January, 24th:

January, 25th (departure day):

In the days after the sprint we did a lot more fine tuning and cleanups with respect to the changes we did during the sprint. So let’s have a look at Kate before the sprint:

Kate on KF5


Kate after the sprint:

Kate after the Developer Sprint

So Kate changed in several ways:

  • New status bar: The status bar is in the KTextEditor interfaces now. That implies that KDevelop, Kile, and all other applications using the KTextEditor framework will have the same status bar.
  • It is now possible to change the indent settings (tabs, spaces) through the status bar. The same holds for the encoding and the current highlighting.
  • Double click on “Line: …, Column: …” switches into goto-mode (Ctrl+G).
  • Double click on INSERT changes to OVERWRITE mode, if not in vi input mode.
  • New Tab Bar in each view space: This tab bar shows the documents you are working on in a least recently used (LRU) fashion. It only shows as many tabs as fit into the tab bar, since we want to avoid horizonal scrolling (it does not scale). If not all documents fit into the tab bar, just use the Documents tab on the left, or the quick open icon in the view space tab bar bar on the right to to launch quick open.
  • Since we now have a tab bar, we can now show the splitting actions at a more prominent place on the very right. New features include to hide inactive views, which equals maximizing the current view space.
  • Yes, no worries, the tab bar can be disabled.

We’ll cover the workflow of the tab bar in a separate blog post.

…oh, and we have much more in the pipe (not related to the sprint) 🙂

Kate/KDevelop Sprint – Status Bar Take 2

After the first initial status bar integration into the KatePart, we thought a bit more about what users might expect. Looking at the competition, one common feature is to allow quick-switching the indentation settings.

Joseph gave that a try and we now have an even better version available in the KF5 KTextEditor framework.

Mandatory screenshot (KWrite, Kate or other applications using it will look the same), updated version after feedback below:KF5 Status Bar Take 2(Update: Using now again non-bold + Line/Column swapped with status)KF5 Status Bar Take 2-2