This week is really busy, first three days of Qt World Summit and now hacking away at the Kate/KDevelop sprint in Berlin.
This year my personal goal will be to get our bugs & wishes back into shape.
One major decision I as the maintainer did take was to close all wishes that not got changed since two years. Our team is very small and we have plenty of real bugs to take care of (and their number is rising) such that we will never be able to implement random requests.
If an user is really interested in the feature to come into existance, the wish can be reopened. Still, if no new arguments are brought up that might lead to some more interest by the Kate team, I think that won’t help a lot. The best solution would be if people could provide patches, which in some cases, like for missing highlighting features in the syntax files, is really easy. At least it should be for the advanced user crowd attracted by an advanced text editor.
Today, I will travel back home from Akademy 2015.
I must say, it was really a nice KDE meeting and I had a lot of fun ;=)
The first day the KDE e.V. general assembly did take place, then two days of actually interesting talks (including the great announcement of Plasma Mobile). After some more days with interesting BoFs and hacking, Akademy is now ending for me.
I didn’t do that much work on Kate, I mostly did small bugfixes for the applications bundled with the KDE Applications releases regarding their HiDPI support, finally no Konsole that can’t redraw correctly on scrolling on a HiDPI screen with scaling activated!
For Kate, the most stuff I did was porting one more plugin (the text filter plugin), fixing some small bugs and rearranging the search bars for in document and in files search. I hope it now is a bit nicer to use, still that is not the final state and I guess we will ask the VDG for more input later on. (btw., if you see any HiDPI glitches in Kate/KTextEditor master, please inform me, I really want to have non-pixelated output ;=)
A big thanks to all organizers & helpers of Akademy 2015! You did a great job, it was a lot of fun, the location was nice, the social event + day trip was good, all fine 🙂 One of the nicer Akademy experiences! Lets hope that the flight home works out, as Dominik is taking the same plane, otherwise the Kate workforce will be seriously diminished.
A common problem for many applications contained in the KDE Applications releases are non-incremented version numbers. Often the maintainer forgets to update the version number of the application, like I did it for Kate since the first KF5 based release.
This means: On Bugzilla, I get bugreports that always tell me “Kate 5.0.0”, not very helpful.
KDE Frameworks solves this by automatic setting of the current framework release version in all framework CMakeLists.txt.
For KDE Applications, we have now optional the same concept. For details: visit https://community.kde.org/Applications/Versioning
In short: If you are to lazy to update your version number yourself or are just fine with using the same version number als the KDE Applications releases, you can add the following three lines to your toplevel CMakeLists.txt:
# KDE Application Version, managed by release script
set (KDE_APPLICATIONS_VERSION_MAJOR "15")
set (KDE_APPLICATIONS_VERSION_MINOR "04")
set (KDE_APPLICATIONS_VERSION_MICRO "0")
These variables will then be patched by the release scripts to the “right” version for the current release series.
You can than either just use the MICRO version to suffix your own applications version to differentiate the bugfix releases or like Kate construct your complete version number from the three vars and be done ;=)
I hope this helps to have more consistent and more important meaningful version numbers once again in the applications we bundle. Thanks to all people that made this “magic” happen ;=)
In the last months, I didn’t get much time to work on Kate nor KTextEditor. Beside some small bugfixes and cleanups I got nothing commited :/
Guess one of the main issues is, I don’t use the KF5 based version of Kate that much ATM. At home, it is the only editor I use, but I have not much time to hack at home anyway.
Therefore today I installed the same setup on my work machine and will now use the KF5 based Kate for all of my day job, perhaps that motivates me more to take a look at the issues the Qt5/KF5 port still has.
(And I will work in a KDE Plasma 5 session with most stuff KF5 based now, including all important stuff like the nice Konsole ;=)
First update: The Get It page got an update to show how to install KF5 based Kate/KWrite from kate.git on openSUSE 13.2 😉 Feel free to send in the needed hints for other distros (to firstname.lastname@example.org).
The installation hints for KDE 4.x based Kate got moved to Get It – KDE 4.x, to keep them intact!