Since the KDE SC 4.12 release a month ago, it’s about time to look at the changes of Kate in 4.12:
- Vi input mode: complete macro support
- Heavily improved vi input mode
- Multi-column text editing (thanks to Andrey Matveyakin)
- MiniMap: align to the top (instead of vertically centered)
- Projects plugin: modified files now show a modified icon
- Improved C++/Boost Style indenter
- in total, 21 issues (including wishes and bugs) were fixed
What comes next?
Kate will get more polishing in the next 4.x releases, for instance, in KDE SC 4.13 Kate optionally supports animated bracket matching.
However, as already mentioned in Kate in 4.11, the main efforts are put into making Kate on Qt5 and Frameworks 5 rock solid. Already now Kate, KWrite and Kate Part are fully ported, i.e. all are free of KDE4support libraries. A preview (already one month old!) can be found here.
Besides that, Kate and KDevelop again join forces and there is a developer meeting from 18th to 25th of January 2014. So expect quite some blogs about Kate on 5 then!