If someone is interested in doing some coding for Kate-Part, Kate, KTexteditor during this years Summer of Code, just drop a proposal at the kwrite-devel mailing list for discussion.
I just started to clean up the content of kate.git, moving things around, fixing compile warnings and similar stuff.
I stumbled over warnings in our dbus interfaces.
The main use of them is to allow Kate to reuse an existing instance for opening files and sessions. This part (e.g. the interface of the application object itself) works fine and is needed.
But all other interfaces, like the ones for docmanager, mainwindows, … are mostly non-existant or not implemented. I now play with the idea of just removing the nearly empty skeleton implementations, as it seems nobody missed them during the complete 4.x series.
Is there somebody out there that actually uses them and if, how?
In KDE 4.10, the “Find All” and “Replace All” highlights all matches and at the same time shows a passive notification in a bar below the view. This bar is animated, and takes quite a lot of place in addition to the search & replace bar.
Since some days, Kate Part can also show passive notifications floating in the view. Hence, we’ve changed the passive notification to appear on the bottom right as a small info message, showing the number of matches. However, in order to make this passive notification as small as possible, we removed the “Close” button, since the notification is hidden after 3 seconds anyway. Further, we removed the “Keep Highlighting” button. If you want to keep the highlights, just do not close the search & replace bar. The following video demonstrates this behavior, first for KDE 4.10, then how it currently will be in KDE 4.11 (watch the video in 720p):
In the kate.git master branch the text folding is now new and shiny.
In addition to be faster and less memory hungry (no folding tree is around if you fold nothing, it is only created on-demand exactly for the folded regions), the new code is less complex and smaller (and hopefully better documented + unit tested, it actually has a test for most internal operations).
There is actually now a clean separation, the folding does not mix with highlighting and can be used without it, too.
This allows for a better integration of indentation based foldings like in Python (and already fixes the most ugly miss-placements of folding regions there) and empowers the user to fold arbitrary regions manually.
This can be done at the moment with two kate commands (for the F7 command line):
- “fold” will create persistent fold for the current selection, this fold will stay until next reload of document (will implement some dfold command later, to delete it)
- “tfold” will create temporary fold for the current selection, this fold will disappear again on unfolding
This should allow better vi mode integration, too, as vi is able to fold arbitrary regions, too. (There is an internal API to fold any KTextEditor::Range you pass in, which should allow to fold by regex and other ways, too, if somebody steps up to implement it.)
If you find glitches, please report them as bugs and please attach some file to reproduce, I am very interested to get this all in even better shape for KDE 4.11, be folding crashs a thing of the past.
For all people not using folding at all, be happy, it no longer will crash you (and me), as it is a nop if no folding ranges are created by the user and some extreme cases got a speedup of 1000% because of less overhead, like VERY large C++ sources 😉