After the latest changes in Nokia, I was kind of scared that “Qt Everywhere!” like printed on my nice bathing towel won’t really happen any more, at least not as fast as thought.
Now I got my new phone, Android based, and tried out Necessitas. And I must say, I am impressed. Just downloaded Ministro from the Android Market (yes, just like that, no rooting, no hacking, nothing) and the hello world demo and it runs 😛
I hope this project will really take off even more as soon as a stable Qt 4.8 is around! And that we see some KDE fame there, too. Really, this is not to be underestimated. The Android market share grows and the current market policies allow open source there, unlike what we see for the WP7 or iOS systems.
Already now: Thanks to the Necessitas team, great work! Really necessary 😉
Thanks to the massive work of sysadmin and others (like Ian Monroe), kdelibs and kdebase are now converted to Git.
In parallel, the move of all kate related code to the kate.git was done and announced. Kate Part / App + KWrite reside now in kate.git on git.kde.org and this is the central place for kate development, like it was already before, but now without the shadow-copies in three other repositories.
As it has shown in the past, this centralisation of parts which belong together helps to get stuff done for our project. The Get It! page on kate-editor.org is already updated (as now documentation is in the module, too, and some CMake parameters have changed).
I can only say: If you want to add some feature or hassle with some bug, give it a try. It’s dead easy to get and compile a fresh Kate (even with a bit older kdelibs around). You are welcome 😉
P.S. Thanks again all the people working on the transition to Git and sysadmin for operating the nice projects.kde.org and git.kde.org services!
As Dominik already points out in his blog, Kate has made nice progress for KDE 4.6.
Some of the latest fixes, like for some nasty search bug didn’t make it in RC1, btw., I was too lame with Git -> SVN syncs.
Anyway, I have now synced and backported to KDE 4.6 branch all pending fixes.
For the next KDE SC release 4.7 (here you go, I wrote SC :)), I hope this syncing will no longer be necessary.
At least Kate app + part + KWrite should then be only in the kate.git.
I can live with ktexteditor remaining in kdelibs, if removing that and still keeping BC and SC would be too much work. But part and app are at most runtime dependencies anyway.
Last but not least, I wish you all a good start into a happy new year 😉
I’m happy to announce the immediate availability of KDevelop 4.2 Beta 1. This is a testing version and any kind of feedback would be welcome and appreciated. Please use our bugtracker. You can download the sources or wait for your distribution to create packages.
Note: Anyone who runs KDE 4.6 or later needs this version (or any later). This is because the
SmartRange interface in Kate got nuked and replaced with
MovingRange interface. Many thanks to David Nolden for more or less single handedly porting KDevelop to this new architecture.
The good news doesn’t end here though, KDevelop 4.2 ships with lots of notable changes and new features:
- MovingRange` support (Thanks to David Nolden)
- Grep Plugin rewrite with replace functionality (Thanks to Silvere Lestang, Julien Desgats, Benjamin Port)
- QtHelp plugin now supports arbitrary
.qch files (Thanks to Benjamin Port)
- ManPage plugin (Thanks to Benjamin Port, Yannick Motta)
- new look for code assistants (Thanks to Olivier JG)
- filter for the project model view (Thanks to Eugene Agafonov)
- improved “Problems” toolview, along with “TODO/FIXME” browsing (Thanks to Dmitry Risenberg)
- better standards compliance in the C++ macro implementation (Thanks to Dmitry Risenberg)
- argument dependent lookup for the C++ plugin (Thanks to Ciprian Ciubotariu)
- open with external application by default (esp. useful for Qt Designer
- PHP: rainbow colors for all vars (and no nested functions or similar), esp. useful for scripts without Classes/Functions
- code cleanup for working sets
- better handling of locked sessions (locked session gets activated or the user gets asked whether he wants to remove the lock file)
- improved Snippets editing usability
Along with these big changes, lots of small improvements have been made and we will continue to polish and harden out this branch in order to give you a stable, fast KDevelop 4.2 soon. Considering the impact and amount of changes, testing would be very welcome in order to prevent regressions and similar in the final 4.2 version.
Bye and thanks again to all contributors who made this possible. I’m especially thrilled to welcome so many new people, well done!