My last post mentioned Necessitas which provides the means to have Qt on Android.
Whereas still a early preview release, it already allows you to compile and run Qt applications on Android >= 1.6 without any big hassle and integrates that into QtCreator!
I tried out the SDK in the last days, it is really easy to use and setup, like seen here and here (with good video that shows the steps).
What is missing here? KDE
I think a nice thing to have would be a port of parts of kdelibs, like the embedded profile or how you name it and providing an app like Ministro in Necessitas that allows a system wide install of this libs.
Having tried Ministro and the example app from the market, that works like a charm for Qt already. I would love to see that for kdelibs as well. Then really a lot of users are just two clicks away from great KDE apps like the good edu stuff and games which really can fly on phones and even more tablets 😉
Embedded developers with spare time: Get the fame and port it .P
I doubt Kate itself would make a good appearance on a phone, and I doubt even I would use it there. But for tablets? Who knows, that might be nice for the “I hack one liners during Fringe” session in the evening.
After the latest changes in Nokia, I was kind of scared that “Qt Everywhere!” like printed on my nice bathing towel won’t really happen any more, at least not as fast as thought.
Now I got my new phone, Android based, and tried out Necessitas. And I must say, I am impressed. Just downloaded Ministro from the Android Market (yes, just like that, no rooting, no hacking, nothing) and the hello world demo and it runs 😛
I hope this project will really take off even more as soon as a stable Qt 4.8 is around! And that we see some KDE fame there, too. Really, this is not to be underestimated. The Android market share grows and the current market policies allow open source there, unlike what we see for the WP7 or iOS systems.
Already now: Thanks to the Necessitas team, great work! Really necessary 😉
Thanks to the massive work of sysadmin and others (like Ian Monroe), kdelibs and kdebase are now converted to Git.
In parallel, the move of all kate related code to the kate.git was done and announced. Kate Part / App + KWrite reside now in kate.git on git.kde.org and this is the central place for kate development, like it was already before, but now without the shadow-copies in three other repositories.
As it has shown in the past, this centralisation of parts which belong together helps to get stuff done for our project. The Get It! page on kate-editor.org is already updated (as now documentation is in the module, too, and some CMake parameters have changed).
I can only say: If you want to add some feature or hassle with some bug, give it a try. It’s dead easy to get and compile a fresh Kate (even with a bit older kdelibs around). You are welcome 😉
P.S. Thanks again all the people working on the transition to Git and sysadmin for operating the nice projects.kde.org and git.kde.org services!
As Dominik already points out in his blog, Kate has made nice progress for KDE 4.6.
Some of the latest fixes, like for some nasty search bug didn’t make it in RC1, btw., I was too lame with Git -> SVN syncs.
Anyway, I have now synced and backported to KDE 4.6 branch all pending fixes.
For the next KDE SC release 4.7 (here you go, I wrote SC :)), I hope this syncing will no longer be necessary.
At least Kate app + part + KWrite should then be only in the kate.git.
I can live with ktexteditor remaining in kdelibs, if removing that and still keeping BC and SC would be too much work. But part and app are at most runtime dependencies anyway.
Last but not least, I wish you all a good start into a happy new year 😉