Category Archives: Common

Kate/KWrite on Mac – More Icons & More Plugins

After a bit more work, toolbars (and other places ;=) have icons, too. More Kate plugins do work, like the nice project plugin I use the whole day, see:Kate with Project Plugin on Mac

Updated .dmg files can be found at (alpha quality, only tested on Mac OS 10.10):

Help to get more stuff working and fix the remaining crashs is highly appreciated. A script how to build that all can be found at:

You can use a plain Qt and current KDE Frameworks & Kate master to get that running. Guess the next goal would be to get KIO working without patching Qt, lets see how much work that is.

P.S. With the guide in mac.txt you should be able to try out how to port other KDE based applications, too, and get a application bundle, as most stuff should be available now, for the average application. How to use some bundled Breeze icon set can be found here, just call code like that after QApplication is constructed:

Where to put the Breeze resource see mac.txt (its actually toplevel in the <app>.app folder, not in Resources like told by Qt docs).

Kate on Mac, HiDPI

Kate runs ;=)

Kate on Mac HiDPI

But as you can see, we have no icons, but that is as no work was invested into it and not even any icons are installed ;=)

I will maintain a guide how to build it on mac in the kate.git/mac.txt file. At the moment, this is all not that nice. Kate is able to open files via file dialog and it renders OK, modulo some glitches.

Still a long way to go, ATM the application bundle contains just the application binary + plist + icons. The libraries are still found only because of they are were they were compiled & installed. Plugins are not found either, need to take a look if that is just missing env vars or more.

At least, this is far better than at the beginning of the year, were all I had was instant segfaults.

Kate runs here btw. without any dbus server running, which means file opening in that window via command line won’t work, but still, compared to KWrite, which crashs on open dialog because of dbus missing, that is nice ;=)

KWrite on Mac

After some hacking on frameworks, I have the first running KWrite version on Mac that uses an unpatched Qt from the offline installer:
KWrite on Mac
It is still ugly, as scaled on my HiDPI display as the plist file is missing and it crashs on everything (aka open dialog) and has no icons.

But beside that, it works.

No magic, just the xcode clang toolchain + stock qt + stock cmake + gettext + KDE Frameworks 5 😉

Script that did the job (still some patches to frameworks missing in master that remove optional deps and fixes linking), it is available in updated form in kate.git:

The changes will benefit Windows builds, too, as they made the dependencies a bit smaller. You for example need no longer phonon to get this running, nor do you need to hassle around with the xslt/xml doctools on Windows.

Patches that are needed t to be applied to have this working:

Kate/KDevelop Sprint 2015 – Summary for Kate

The end of the joint Kate/KDevelop Sprint 2015 is coming closer, half of the people already have left to get home.

It was a good thing to have this sprint sponsored by the KDE e.V. and organized by Milian Wolff directly after the Qt World Summit 2015 here in Berlin. I think that made it easier for people to attend both events, like myself ;=)

I came to the sprint to work on getting our bugs sorted and fixed and to improve the state of the Mac port. I must confess, the bug fixing session worked out well, but I didn’t take a shot at Mac at all.

What did I achieve? I fixed many small bugs and I reintroduced the automatic brackets completion removed by accident in the KDE 4.x => KF5 transition.

In addition I cleaned up old things in our bugzilla. The new policy for Kate will be: wishes that not got any attention since 2 years will be closed, it makes no sense to keep them around for ever and it will only make overview about what is really wanted impossible.

In addition, I tried to help Kåre Särs to get Kate running on Windows. We want to have a way to build Kate with a unpatched Qt. At the moment that is not really feasible, as things like ui files are not found, xml syntax files are not found and so on. I started to solve that issues and at least KTextEditor framework itself should now be more or less Windows (and therefore Mac) compatible. But the other frameworks will still need love, like KXmlGui not being able to locate its own ui_standards.rc. Kate application is now compilable without any strange patches, too, on Windows.

Mandatory screenshot (be aware, to get menus and stuff working, we here randomly copied all files into the right user local directories):

Kate on Windows

Dominik Haumann did help us in our bug fixing effort, too. At the end of the sprint he started the painful work to review and fix the use of hard-coded colors in our highlighting files, work nobody really wants to do :=)

Sven Brauch helped to improve my reintroduced bracket completion to be not completely dumb .P

All in all, I think it was a productive sprint. Not that we all reached our goals, but we did make progress.

I think Kate & KTextEditor will be in a very good shape for the 15.16 KF5 Frameworks  and the next KDE Applications release. In addition you always get again momentum to work on more stuff in the close future by meeting up in person and do some socializing aka eating 😉

Therefore, to wrap it up: Nice work all guys, thanks by the Kate maintainer to all people that joint the sprint and special thanks to Milian for setting it up and the KDE e.V. for sponsoring it ;=)

P.S. Yeah, sponsoring implies that the e.V. has money for that. To keep such spring sponsoring possible in the future => give us money!