A common problem for many applications contained in the KDE Applications releases are non-incremented version numbers. Often the maintainer forgets to update the version number of the application, like I did it for Kate since the first KF5 based release.
This means: On Bugzilla, I get bugreports that always tell me “Kate 5.0.0″, not very helpful.
KDE Frameworks solves this by automatic setting of the current framework release version in all framework CMakeLists.txt.
For KDE Applications, we have now optional the same concept. For details: visit https://community.kde.org/Applications/Versioning
In short: If you are to lazy to update your version number yourself or are just fine with using the same version number als the KDE Applications releases, you can add the following three lines to your toplevel CMakeLists.txt:
# KDE Application Version, managed by release script
set (KDE_APPLICATIONS_VERSION_MAJOR "15")
set (KDE_APPLICATIONS_VERSION_MINOR "04")
set (KDE_APPLICATIONS_VERSION_MICRO "0")
These variables will then be patched by the release scripts to the “right” version for the current release series.
You can than either just use the MICRO version to suffix your own applications version to differentiate the bugfix releases or like Kate construct your complete version number from the three vars and be done ;=)
I hope this helps to have more consistent and more important meaningful version numbers once again in the applications we bundle. Thanks to all people that made this “magic” happen ;=)
In the last months, I didn’t get much time to work on Kate nor KTextEditor. Beside some small bugfixes and cleanups I got nothing commited :/
Guess one of the main issues is, I don’t use the KF5 based version of Kate that much ATM. At home, it is the only editor I use, but I have not much time to hack at home anyway.
Therefore today I installed the same setup on my work machine and will now use the KF5 based Kate for all of my day job, perhaps that motivates me more to take a look at the issues the Qt5/KF5 port still has.
(And I will work in a KDE Plasma 5 session with most stuff KF5 based now, including all important stuff like the nice Konsole ;=)
First update: The Get It page got an update to show how to install KF5 based Kate/KWrite from kate.git on openSUSE 13.2 😉 Feel free to send in the needed hints for other distros (to email@example.com).
The installation hints for KDE 4.x based Kate got moved to Get It – KDE 4.x, to keep them intact!
I reinstalled my home machine last week with openSUSE 13.2 and installed their latest 15.04 packages from the KDE repos ;=)
That is the first time that I use a distro-shipped Kate that is based on KF5 (and no other Kate 4.x is installed any more as escape route).
I think I already have seen 1-2 glitches (like not needed questions for reload and some repaint issue on reload), still, overall, I am happy with what is shipped as 15.04.
Thanks to all people contributing to KF5 and Kate 5.x! Well done!
And thanks to the packagers of 15.04, too. Nice to have up-to-date applications with just an additional repository to add!
Given that the KF5 based Kate works OK on Windows, I would like to get the Mac version up and running, too.
As virtualization of MacOS X is kind of “forbidden” and not that nicely usable anyway, as no nice accelerating drivers are available for the standard vm solutions, I just went out into the world and bought some Retina MacBook.
I followed the nice guide on https://github.com/haraldF/homebrew-kf5 (thanks Harald :=) and got some installed Kate/KWrite (after patching kio to skip X11 detection).
But ok, not that usable, at least without any investigation which env vars are missing per default you get a Kate that crashs or just shows the main window central content without any actions/menus/toolbars/sidebars/…
In addition, the application is scaled, as the manifest that tells we are able to handle retina bla stuff is missing.
Guess lots of work ahead, but given I have now some Mac, I will work on that in the following months 😉
P.S. I never had a Mac before and got often told by “Mac Fans” that I should switch to some “real” operating system from my stupid borked unusable cluttered hacky … Linux. Given that the new shiny MacBook directly stalled for ever during the guided “create your user and give us all your data” installation wizard on first boot, I am not that impressed ;=) My mother would have been stuck and after some googling that seems to be a “known issue”, at least for me, after a hard reboot, the thingy worked and I had a login, more luck than others 😛